Are you playing Earth Defense Force 4.1? You should be, for at least the following reasons:
1. It’s got a fantastic, moody subtitle: The Shadow of New Despair.
2. The whole point is to bravely and blindly charge into battle against really, really big enemies – giant ants, giant spiders, giant robots, giant spaceships, and other giant things. Really big.
3. There are four different classes and hundreds of unlockable weapons (the harder the difficulty you beat, the better the gear you’ll find).
5. The dialogue. “You giant insects – we won’t let you above ground.” Which is, incidentally, said after those giant insects have already shown up above ground several times.
Another example: one of the soldier guys likes to bark something along the lines of “Whoever kills the most buys dinner,” which seems kinda counter-productive, but who am I to judge the methods employed by the brave men and women of this storied earth defense organization?
6. The voice actors, who just sell the hell out of every single word.
7. Sometimes, those giant robots turn into giant flying ragdolls when they explode:
Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair is available on Steam now, and it’s just plain, old FUN. Check it out.